Darius and Girenas Stadium, Kaunas, Lithuania
Darius and Girėnas Stadium
During the reconstruction of the stadium, not only the infrastructure for sports activities was renewed, but new, comfortable lodges with a capacity of more than 15 thousand spectators were added as well.
Uponor Meltaway PE-Xa pipe (25 x 2.3) – whole area – 31 860 m (54 x 590 m).
Uponor Meltaway d160 collectors (36 pcs x 12 (6m) cc 500 (in all – 216 contours)).
Certificates: UEFA category 4 certificate.
Location: Ąžuolynas park, Žaliakalnis, Perkūno alley, Kaunas city, Lithuania.
Uponor solutions: Snow and ice melting system Uponor Meltaway.
Darius and Girėnas state stadium was first opened in 1925 and underwent its first major renovation in 1998 when it was upgraded to UEFA regulations of the time. Later on, in 2005 it underwent a major modernization – the biggest television screen in all of the Baltic countries was installed. The latest renovation started in 2018 and is scheduled to be completed in 2022.
Benefits of lawn heating:
- Heated field can be used all year-‘round – season starts earlier and ends later than on regular stadiums.
- Protection against ground frostbite – reducing the number of injuries sustained during matches – accident prevention.
- Fallen snow is melted almost immediately and moisture does not remain on the lawn.
- Positive effect on the lawn (when operated correctly).
- Field length – 105 m
- Width – 68 m
- Whole area –7500 m2
- Heated area – 7140 m2
- 25 cm pitch in the pipe contours
- Contours are combined using the Tichelmann principle
- HDPE d200 mm pipes up to Meltaway manifolds
- Heat carrier with glycol – 40%. Its parameters – 40/30℃
Žalgirio Arena has been given a BREEAM In-Use certificate – the first for an existing sports venue in the world.
The venue of the 75th IIHF World Ice Hockey Championship, which were held in spring 2011, utilised Uponor’s solution for tap water installation.
The Stades de Bienne gives Biel a brand-new, versatile meeting point for sport, culture, business, eating and shopping and is attracting visitors from all over the region. Due to open in 2015, Uponor AG Schweiz has contributed to this project by providing thermoactive building component systems (TABS).
Once completed, the sports centre will boast a significantly enlarged gymnasium, a studio, 9 changing facilities, a reception/café area and new staff offi ces. The swimming
pool will also be redecorated and receive much needed maintenance.