Uponor sustainability commitment
Keeping in mind the triple bottom line (environment, social and financial pillar), Uponor work within the following framework:
Uponor's Sustainability Principles Explained
1) CULTURE: Strongly integrating sustainability into our corporate mindset. To succeed in our journey towards a sustainable future, we will develop a corporate culture of sustainability with the full commitment and engagement of all of our employees.
2) CARE: Driving down our environmental impact throughout our manufacturing and non-manufacturing facilities. We are committed to minimising resource utilisation and waste, and implementing renewable energy sources.
3) CUSTOMER: Enriching lives through our innovative solutions. Through our innovative and sustainable solutions, we will help to achieve zero carbon emissions while creating comfortable and healthy built environments.
4) PARTNER: Engaging stakeholders in our sustainable journey we will collaborate with all of our stakeholders to create sustainable communities for future generations.
Initiatives to support a sustainable culture
- All staff are fully trained on what Uponor’s 4 sustainability pillars are and the actions that need to be taken to ensure targets are met.
- With the help of a sustainability team, staff are encouraged to find ways to improve sustainability in everyday work
- An anonymous whistleblowing service has been setup for Uponor staff to report internal cases of misconduct
How Uponor support the environment
- To improve water efficiency, all of Uponor’s production sites use a closed-loop water circulation system for extrusion cooling purposes
- Uponor are taking key steps to embrace a circular economy- returnable, recyclable packaging systems, alternative resins, as well as re-integrating production scrap and post-consumer recyclate back into the value stream.
Supporting the customer
- Closed loop installations and automatic flushing has been produced by Uponor to prevent stagnation
- At Uponor, we have been actively working on the challenges presented by storm water for many years. Uponor Smart Trap collects 100% more sediment than traditional sand trap chambers
- Uponor support product innovation from within the company by supplying rewards to employees, who create solutions that enrich customers lives
How we work with our partners
- In 2016, Uponor became a member of the Finnish Climate Leadership Council established to influence Finnish businesses and research organisations in their response to the threats posed by climate change
- Uponor works with branch and trade organisations to influence local and international policy makers on topics related to energy, health and water- European Plastic Pipe and Fittings Association (TEPPFA), Green Building Council and the British Plastics Federation (BPF)
Uponor 2017 sustainability performance
The above graphic shows that significant progress has been made in the areas of recycling, water consumption and the amount of fossil fuels that are used.