World´s first bio-based PEX pipes
Same outstanding product characteristics as our conventional PEX pipes
World´s first bio-based PEX pipe* - Uponor PEX Pipe Blue
With PEX Pipes Blue, Uponor sets a new standard in the transition to renewable raw materials. PEX Pipes Blue are the world´s first bio-based PEX pipes* on the market. The new pipes feature a reduced carbon footprint of up to 90% compared to fossil-based PEX pipes.
This initiative with a reduced carbon footprint helps our customers make sustainable choices, set new standards and achieve their environmental goals. Uponor PEX Pipes Blue offer our customers the opportunity to lead the way to green building and contribute to a sustainable construction industry.
* with ISCC certification, based on the mass balance approach
- Underfloor heating
- Ideal for new builds and renovation
Uponor PEX Pipe Blue
- Uponor Comfort Pipe PLUS Blue
- Diameter range 16-20 mm
- Reduced carbon footprint of up to 90% compared to fossil-based PEX pipes
- Same outstanding product quality, features and performance as our conventional PEX pipes
- Full compatibility with current Uponor fittings, accessories and tools
- Complete value chain transparency through full ISCC certification (International Sustainability and Carbon Certification)
Uponor PEX Pipes Blue feature a reduced CO2 footprint of up to 90% compared to fossil-based PEX pipes
- Significantly low carbon footprint based on Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) calculations according to the standards EN15804+A1, CML / ISO21930
- EPD uses life cycle assessment (LCA) to comprehensively evaluate a product´s environmental impact along its entire life cycle
- Data is verified by an independent third party
Mass Balance Approach
- The flow of renewable raw material is based on the so-called mass balance approach under the ISCC certificate
- Mass balancing is the phasing out fossil material from existing systems by replacing with recycled or renewable materials while keeping track of their quantities and allocating them to specific products.
- For every received tonne of ISCC certified renewable raw materials, a corresponding quantity of produced PEX pipes can be designated as ISCC certified.
- This approach allows for a gradual shift from fossil to renewably sourced feedstock and enables us to provide ISCC certified sustainable products without reducing quality or safety standards
- Complete value chain transparency through full ISCC certification
- ISCC: International Sustainability & Carbon Certification, independent organisation that ensures traceability and transparency throughout the entire supply and production chain
- Partnership with our likewise ISCC certified supplier Borealis also provides transparency throughout the supply chain
- Raw materials used to produce the renewable feedstock can be traced back to the first collection point
- Uponor is audited annually by an independent third party to ensure all ISCC certification requirements are met
- With Uponor PEX Pipes Blue and the use of ISCC certified bio-based material we contribute to replacing fossil resources with renewable raw materials
All benefits at a glance for Uponor PEX Pipe Blue
Set new standards with a sustainable choice
Promote the use of sustainably sourced raw materials
Achieve your sustainability goals
Lead the way to green building
Comfort Pipe Plus Blue
Environmental product declaration (EPD)
FAQs - Your questions and our answers
There are renewable feedstock not suitable for consumption such as non-food crops and waste/residue streams in use, for example used cooking oil.