Underfloor cooling adds value to new construction, Tampere, Finland, Finland
Underfloor cooling adds value to new construction
Investing in a high-quality heat distribution system makes everyone happy – underfloor heating and cooling is silent, draft-free and needs minimal maintenance, which benefits the designer, developer and resident alike.
Located at Rautatienkatu 21, Tampere’s former post office underwent extensive expansion and renovation where 89 flats and about 1,000 m2 of office space were built as an addition reaching up to nine storeys. In addition, all the old office spaces and commercial premises in the building were remodelled. The new building is home to the Asunto Oy Tampereen Posteljooninpuisto housing association on floors 2–8, with shops and office spaces on the ground and first floors. The project, commissioned by the Keskinäinen Vakuutusyhtiö Fennia insurance company, was completed towards the end of 2017.
Uponor’s underfloor heating system was installed in the flats as the heat distribution system. In the warmer seasons when heating is not needed, the system is also used for cooling. Combining chilled air intake with district cooling, the evenly distributed cooling of the system significantly improves the comfort level in the flat in the summer by keeping the floor surface at a comfortable 21–23 degrees and the surrounding room temperature below 27 degrees, the latter being a requirement of the national building code.
High-class site, top-of-the-line building services
Underfloor cooling both guarantees pleasant indoor conditions and meets the increasing demands of apartment building construction in a way that is both cost and energy efficient.
– The former post office is prime real-estate, and underfloor cooling is the requirement du jour in high-price flats such as these. Since underfloor heating was also on the wish list, the ability to combine the two was a perfect match. The site also has district cooling, which works well with underfloor cooling, says Juha Laine, who works as an HVAC design project manager at ALL-Talotekniikka Oy.
– We wanted the flats to be first class, with high-quality solutions from the facade to the interior. This is why we selected underfloor heating and cooling, confirms Fennia's Building Developer Timo Vasa.
Seamless cooperation with the designers
Uponor provided the underfloor heating and cooling system as a practical, comprehensive turnkey delivery. The delivery included the installation of the Uponor Tacker floor system, which meets modern day requirements for heat insulation and soundproofing. Uponor also delivered manifold cabinets to the site in pre-assembled, watertight form, which sped up installation. The Uponor Smatrix Wave Plus wireless room control system was included for room-specific control of underfloor heating and cooling. In addition, the expertise provided for designers formed an important part of Uponor's services.
– We were involved as early as the project design phase and worked jointly with the developer and other stakeholders. We simulated the heating and cooling efficiency based on initial data from the HVAC designers, and we assisted them in the project from start to end. At the Posteljooninpuisto site, the simulation was done in the flats with the highest heat load from sunlight. These simulations allowed the system to be scaled to level that was documented to keep temperatures within the current building regulation guidelines, says Sami Matikka, Uponor’s building services project sales manager.
– Uponor was able to guarantee the best possible conditions for cooling. During the design phase, we fine-tuned our calculations and both parties proposed a variety of solutions. Our mutual cooperation was very smooth, says Laine.
Underfloor heating and cooling – two solutions with just one investment
Underfloor heating with cooling is an excellent alternative to the more conventional combination of fan coils and radiators.
– An underfloor heating and cooling system is silent, draft-free and requires less maintenance: there are no filters to replace, for instance. From the construction perspective, the best part is being able to get two systems in one and with just one investment, Laine points out.
Building Developer Vasa agrees. – Underfloor cooling is draft-free, which makes for very comfortable living. From the perspective of maintenance work and costs, this makes financial sense for the developer. We also want to be pioneers of high-quality, energy-efficient solutions, Vasa points out.
Shanghai sheshan yard developed by Lujin company is a high-grade hardcover residential area with a total area of 42000 square meters, 540 apartments.
Shanghai sheshan yard developed by Lujin company is a high-grade hardcover residential area, which is located in Shanghai,songjiang district, with a total area of 42000 square meters, 540 apartments.
High quality and comfort were the guiding principles when desinging the heating solution. All appartments have Uponor's radiant heating and cooling system which is connected to building's automation system.
Riser Port modular system was installed to new multi storey building in Helsinki for smooth and fast installation of plumbing, ventilation and sewer riser lines.
Reno Port solution was selected to routing for tap water and sewer pipelines in wooden multi storey buildings in Turku
The luxury flats by the Töölönlahti bay remain at the ideal temperature thanks to underfloor heating and cooling
Ewha Womans University had planned the underground campus, which is a global trend for space creation, in order to solve the problem that the available space on the ground was insufficient despite the increase in the space demand in the campus, in accordance with the Ewha Womans University Development Plan in the 21st century.
The industrial heritage "Mapo Oil storage facility" converted into a comprehensive cultural park with Uponor Radiant Heating and Cooling system.
"Beržų Terasos" (Birch Terraces) - nature surrounded 10,600 m2 sized multi storey apartment buildings in Vilnius Antakalnis district.
To help address the housing shortage in Derby, an office block (Norman House) has been converted into 134apartments. As part of the conversion, electric heating, mains cold water distribution systems and hot water cylinders were installed in each room.
As a result, Uponor now offers a new, optimized and well structured, compact and easy to use prefab basic unit with flexible connectivity options for managing water and heating in varying types of housing.
From now on, Uponor provides the construction market with these prefab shaft units, primarily intended for modern floor building and terraced houses.