The service flue solution speeded up the construction of a block of flats in Lahti, Lahti, Finland
The service flue solution speeded up the construction of a block of flats in Lahti
Two blocks of flats equipped with service flues have been built in the Mukkula district in Lahti. Uponor's service flues are industrially manufactured, modular flue structures for the efficient routing of HVAC systems. The Uponor service flue modules can be used to route water, sewer and ventilation systems to flats as preassembled and coupleable packages.
Datos del proyecto
– Service flues are suitable for both new construction and renovations. There are no restrictions on the use of routing elements as their openability makes them suitable for all kinds of construction. All building services are fully routed. Flue elements can be used to build water, sewer, power, heating, cooling and ventilation risers, says Uponor's project development manager Toni Wahlfors.
Efficient routing technology for new construction
Two seven-storey blocks of flats were completed in the Mukkula district in Lahti in late autumn 2015. Service flues were installed in a total of 108 flats at Asunto Oy Lahden Timonkadun Helmi on Timonkatu.
– At the site, a product with wastewater, radon and rainwater risers was needed to replace the Elpo element. A requirement for the solution was that installations should not disrupt other construction during the frame erection phase, says Wahlfors.
Site manager Pasi Mattila from Salpausselän Rakentajat Oy is satisfied with the solution.
– Uponor installed the service flues on the agreed day. The flues do not need to be lifted by crane, which is a big advantage. The use of flues had a concrete impact on construction as it allowed to save about a week.
Wahlfors confirms that using service flues frees up time for other tasks at the site.
– Unlike in-wall flues or concrete flue elements, service flues do not have any impact on the construction schedule in new construction. This frees up time for other work during the frame erection phase. On-site installation did not cause any problems to other construction work. There is no doubt that the flexibility of the installation was the main reason why Uponor was selected as partner for the Timonkatu site.
The routing went so smoothly that service flues will most likely be used at construction sites also in the future.
– We are going to use service flues also in the future, says Mattila.
Benefits for planners and installersIn addition to speeding up work, the service flue solution makes it easier to plan and install routing elements.
– The flues can be equipped with hose fittings and connections to the sewer system, which facilitates and speeds up the installation of fittings. As the pipes no longer need installing, the fitters only have to couple the fittings, states Wahlfors.
The solution assists architects and HVAC planners in determining the need for space and placing the elements.
– Planning becomes systematic with drawing templates, and the fittings are easier to connect. Technical flues speed up order planning. The architect can easily see how much space the building services take up in the flues, and the HVAC planner can place the elements so that their layout and coupling to consumption points are optimal.
Plenty of potential also in renovations
Uponor's service flues have only been used in new construction so far. However, according to Wahlfors, the highest benefits of the solution are related to line renovation of type houses. The solution saves space, which is a big advantage, for example, when renovating bathrooms to make them unobstructed and easily accessible.
– Space savings are significant compared to in-wall flues. Service flues free up space in the bathroom and bring additional square metres, states Wahlfors.The modular repair method with coupleable HVAC flue structures is a highly efficient way to improve flats. – Construction efficiency and quality control improve when it is possible to make larger series. Forecasting becomes easier, and logistics and schedules are kept under better control. Faster on-site construction saves money and the residents can go back to their flats sooner, says Wahlfors.
Información del proyecto
Información del proyecto
Salpausselän Rakentajat Oy
Asennuspalvelu RST Oy
Residencial Escalonia I, II y III. Las Rozas (Madrid), Spain
Antiguo Hotel España (Burgos)
Complejo de 137 viviendas de 2, 3 y 4 dormitorios, ubicado en el barrio madrileño de Villaverde
Shanghai sheshan yard developed by Lujin company is a high-grade hardcover residential area with a total area of 42000 square meters, 540 apartments.
Shanghai sheshan yard developed by Lujin company is a high-grade hardcover residential area, which is located in Shanghai,songjiang district, with a total area of 42000 square meters, 540 apartments.
High quality and comfort were the guiding principles when desinging the heating solution. All appartments have Uponor's radiant heating and cooling system which is connected to building's automation system.
Riser Port modular system was installed to new multi storey building in Helsinki for smooth and fast installation of plumbing, ventilation and sewer riser lines.
Reno Port solution was selected to routing for tap water and sewer pipelines in wooden multi storey buildings in Turku
The luxury flats by the Töölönlahti bay remain at the ideal temperature thanks to underfloor heating and cooling
Ewha Womans University had planned the underground campus, which is a global trend for space creation, in order to solve the problem that the available space on the ground was insufficient despite the increase in the space demand in the campus, in accordance with the Ewha Womans University Development Plan in the 21st century.
The industrial heritage "Mapo Oil storage facility" converted into a comprehensive cultural park with Uponor Radiant Heating and Cooling system.
"Beržų Terasos" (Birch Terraces) - nature surrounded 10,600 m2 sized multi storey apartment buildings in Vilnius Antakalnis district.
To help address the housing shortage in Derby, an office block (Norman House) has been converted into 134apartments. As part of the conversion, electric heating, mains cold water distribution systems and hot water cylinders were installed in each room.
As a result, Uponor now offers a new, optimized and well structured, compact and easy to use prefab basic unit with flexible connectivity options for managing water and heating in varying types of housing.
From now on, Uponor provides the construction market with these prefab shaft units, primarily intended for modern floor building and terraced houses.